Testing professionals working on infrastructure systems found in data networking or telecommunications companies face big challenges in IT automation software as they work to keep their company’s vital communication platforms healthy.
IT automation software helps bind and manage the control actions critical to running these different infrastructure systems. From the use of Discrete Control and PID Controllers to System State Control – these are just some of the control actions critical to the day-day management and running of data networking and telecommunications systems. As software development teams plan, build, test and release applications, how do you performance test each application to ensure you aren’t disrupting critical system control actions? How do you test early and often to confirm the validity of every code change and fix errors before they make their way into production? How do you conduct extensive load tests while keeping your data secure? And how do you ensure that test findings are quickly integrated into the application development process as part of a continuous cycle?
To make it happen you need an automated approach to software development that can ensure consistent quality across your CI/CD pipeline. And that takes the right programming language, the right automation framework and the right enterprise-ready platform for performance testing. Here are some smart practices and effective choices that companies building and delivered on large communications infrastructure systems have benefited from.
1. Choosing the right programming language
2. Choosing the right automation framework.
An automated test framework can be a huge benefit to your testing program, but it can be a challenge to integrate testing tools across multiple systems. All that complexity can be avoided though, with Taurus – a free, open-source automation framework that gives you a simple way to create, run, and analyze performance tests. You can orchestrate test scripts from your development environment of choice – avoiding the pain of integration and the steep learning curve that can come with learning new tools. Taurus lets you describe a full-blown script with just a few lines of simple syntax text. You can execute small-scale tests from your local machine, and then reuse the same scripts to orchestrate continuous tests at scale in the cloud as part of your CI/CD pipeline. It’s a simple approach for solving a complex challenge.
3. Choosing the right enterprise-ready test tools
Adopting open-source testing tools can be a great move for most any business. No special training is needed, and you can leverage a wide variety of free utilities and plug-ins. But to address the rigors required in a data networking or telecom environment, you will need to ensure the open-source solutions you use are enterprise ready. And that means you need broad test coverage, on-demand scalability, comprehensive reporting, and ways to protect your most sensitive data. Fortunately, CA BlazeMeter makes the move to “enterprise-ready open source” simple and affordable to accomplish. You get a single, integrated test platform for performance, functional and API testing that is compatible with your existing CoE test infrastructure and with the open-source languages used by your Agile development team.
In choosing for the right test automation platform that is open-source based and enterprise ready, here are a few of the many advantages that CA BlazeMeter brings to the table:
- Extend Test Coverage. Give Agile teams the resources they need to test early and often in the same language they use for development. With open source-compliant BlazeMeter, decentralize testing with ease across your business. No special skills are required. Quality assurance bottlenecks become a thing of the past.
- Ease of Self-Service use. Avoid the high cost of rectifying bugs in production. BlazeMeter makes test creation easy. Simply load and go. Each Agile team its own dedicated workspace to run performance, functional and API tests from a single, integrated toolchain with zero platform dependencies, and no proprietary languages to learn.
- On-Demand Scalability. BlazeMeter helps your Test CoE overcome LoadRunner’s limited load-generation capacity. You can scale up to 10 million virtual users in an instant and can test multiple projects concurrently across 55+ geos. Upload tests and emulate network conditions on demand - no test lab required.
- Use of Sensitive Data. There is no need to move sensitive data to the web just to take advantage of cloud-based testing. With BlazeMeter, you can conduct performance and functional tests inside or outside your firewall. You can even take a hybrid approach. Simply use BlazeMeter software agents to generate load behind your firewall and keep information private, and then publish test results in the cloud where they are easily accessible.
- Integrated Console for Business Insights. You can quickly find bottlenecks using rich, interactive graphs. Simply analyze results online or download critical metrics, including response time percentiles, bandwidth and errors. BlazeMeter lets you consolidate and share reports generated within each dedicated testing workspace. Now, you can track trends from multiple builds and can collaborate and share interactive test results and graphs with teammates or other stakeholders — keeping everyone on the same page.
- Continuous Quality Engineering. BlazeMeter’s built-in editor lets developers write tests in simple syntax and describe a full-blown script in about ten lines of text from their local development environment of choice. They can define and execute small-scale tests from their local machines, and then seamlessly switch and run tests at scale on virtual machines in the cloud. Your Test CoE can reuse these scripts with other CI tools through a plug-in architecture – easily accelerating test automation and building out the tool chest you need to ensure quality across your continuous delivery pipeline.
Learn more@ www.blazemeter.com/shiftleft
Take the next step and make your open-source environment enterprise ready with CA BlazeMeter. Request your free demo today. We’ll show you how to extend your existing test environment, test at scale on demand, and automate test flows to ensure continuous quality controls across diverse platforms.
You might also find these useful:
Interested in writing for our Blog?Send us a pitch!